[FFmpeg-user] FFMPEG QSV source compilation hangs & reboots our server

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 15:33:04 EET 2016

> We are installing `ffmpeg` with `--enable-nonfree --enable-libmfx`
> configurations, configuration command was successfully done.
> Then, we invoking `make` and our server gets hanged in few
> seconds and it will gets rebooted automatically.

> We felt it might be compilation issue with `make` script

Imagine for a moment that FFmpeg developers want to
hurt you or your computer system (you do remember
that FFmpeg comes without any warranty?) and our
Makefile would be written with the intention to reboot
your computer.

Don't you agree that a reboot would indicate a bug in
your compiler, your filesystem, your kernel or another
part of your system since no script run by a user must
ever reboot your computer?

It is more than likely that our build system has issues,
reboots are not really an indicator for such issues.