[FFmpeg-user] Encoding for Amazon Cloud Front HLS adaptive streaming. Peak rate too high.

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 18:25:09 EET 2016

> For example a 2350k video bit rate and a 64k audio gives me 2878.02
> kb/s measured when I expect 2414 kb/s.

How would that be possible?
Even if you know nothing about mpegts (don't worry, I don't know much
about it myself), I hope you agree that it has to be some data structure
that not only accepts varying sizes of video and audio frames (and
allows to find them) but also (some) transmission errors - mpegts was
specifically designed for lossy media. This cannot come for free, don't
you agree?
20% overhead is too high but I would have to see command line,
complete, uncut console output and output file size to be able to
comment, maybe you should just remove the superfluous options
like maxrate, bufsize and movflags and please decide if you want
to use -force_key_frames or -g.

(FFmpeg's mpegts muxer is known to have issues though.)