[FFmpeg-user] Little stutters after conversion

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 13:28:15 EET 2016

> Hi,
>
> I tried to convert a 1920x1080 video to 1280x720. The resulting file had
> little stutters in scenes where the camera is moving slowly but constantly.
> I finally ended up with the following command to get a quality as close
> to the original as possible:
>
> ffmpeg -i movie.mkv -vf scale=-1:720 -c:v mpeg2video -q:a 0 -q:v 0 -maxrate 38800k -preset veryslow -c:a copy -scodec copy test.mkv

Please remove -q:a 0, test current FFmpeg git head and provide
command line together with the complete, uncut console output.
Also remove -maxrate, if it has an effect, it would be one that you
didn't intend. Finally remove -preset veryslow, it has no effect afaict.

Old MEncoder documentation suggests not to use -q:v 0 but instead
to use -q:v 2.