[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg failing to get JSON data from file

Keith Reilly kreilly at retroreport.com
Mon May 23 18:16:28 CEST 2016

I have a script to batch process files that uses ffprobe to get data about
the media before processing. ffprobe is no longer behaving as it was before
and i'm not sure why.
input:
ffprobe -v quiet -print_format json -show_format -show_streams file.mp4
output:
ffprobe: failed to set value 'quiet' for option 'v'

ffmpeg version:
ffmpeg version 3.0.2 Copyright (c) 2000-2016 the FFmpeg developers
built with Apple LLVM version 7.3.0 (clang-703.0.29)

Mac os version 10.11.4

It think this started after i upgraded to el Capitan. I've uninstalled and
reinstalled ffmpeg with macports and i've googled this problem. Couldn't
find anything where 10.11 breaks ffprobe nor do I see a different syntax to
get json data. anybody have any ideas?