[FFmpeg-user] Catch-all container for audio.

Brandon McGinty-Carroll bmmcginty at bmcginty.us
Fri May 13 04:12:18 CEST 2016

All,
I'm trying to find the most officient method for losslessly turning audio/video content into audio only.
Right now, I'm using the nut container. It stores everything I throw at it.
It also allows me to access a URL with FFMpeg and copy directly to a .nut file, without needing to know the type of the source file, or store in a file with extra overhead.
e.g. ffmpeg -i http://www.site.com/file.{wma,mkv,flv} -vn -acodec copy out.nut
That out.nut name can be given to ffmpeg before the remote file is touched, and it'll hold whatever audio the remote file contains.
However, I'm wondering if there's a better choice. Matroska seems to be the only other container that would hold all the formats I convert.
I know nut is just being maintained at this point, so would moving to Matroska (which I believe has an .mkv extension) be wise?

I hope this was understandable.
And thank you to the developers of FFMpeg. I use it multiple times a day.

Brandon McGinty-Carroll