[FFmpeg-user] The internal ffmpeg rgb=>yuv pipeline and conversion matrices

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue May 10 13:23:14 CEST 2016

Peter Rabbitson <rabbit+list <at> rabbit.us> writes:

> On 05/09/2016 08:02 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> > Peter Rabbitson <rabbit+list <at> rabbit.us> writes:
> >
> >> scale=320x240
> >
> > Scaling makes very little sense with lossless encoding.
>
> Could you elaborate?

There is no visual difference between high-quality and
lossless encoding, so lossless encoding is typically
needed if you want to save your original input data.
Scaling permanently damages the original data and lossless
encoding of scaled data seems not useful to me.

But as said in my other email: It also depends on your
actual use-case and the used media player (and of course
the input: Many types of RGB data are much better encoded
with qtrle or png).