[FFmpeg-user] The internal ffmpeg rgb=>yuv pipeline and conversion matrices

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Mon May 9 11:44:01 CEST 2016

>> - Am I correct that the inconsistency #00AA00 => #00AB01 is simply "cost
>> of doing YUV business", or is the reason more nuanced/involved?

I have no idea how ffmpeg's internals work, but yes, if you are between RGB and YUV then yes, there can be errors, especially in an 8-bit world. The two approaches describe a different set of colours and there is no lossless conversion between them. Single-LSB errors such as this would be reasonable.

In general, ffmpeg's internal handling of variable colourspaces is rather opaque and subject to some dubious assumptions - the libraries are capable of doing things very flexibly and correctly, but ffmpeg itself often does to make it easy, or possible, to do things right.