[FFmpeg-user] Encoding DV tapes with "datecode" preserved for each frame

Dave Rice dave at dericed.com
Mon May 9 02:45:32 CEST 2016

> On May 8, 2016, at 1:40 AM, Francois Visagie <francois.visagie at gmail.com> wrote:

Here's a sample with recording data and time in the VAUX of the DV encoding: https://archive.org/download/DvAnalyzerSampleDvAudioErrors/dvanalyzer_sample_EVIA_IU.mov <https://archive.org/download/DvAnalyzerSampleDvAudioErrors/dvanalyzer_sample_EVIA_IU.mov>. The VAUX structure is defined in  http://web.archive.org/web/20060927044735/http://www.smpte.org/smpte_store/standards/pdf/s314m.pdf <http://web.archive.org/web/20060927044735/http://www.smpte.org/smpte_store/standards/pdf/s314m.pdf> but this spec doesn't seem to identify or explain the vaux packs for recording date and recording time.

In the same the first recording date vaux pack is at 129,482 bytes and the first recording time vaux pack is at 129,487 bytes (or 458 and 463 bytes from the start of the dv encoding). There's a rough guide to parsing these to packs at https://groups.google.com/d/msg/microsoft.public.win32.programmer.directx.video/3kMuSYZ-KFw/CKfl0xeZ8FUJ <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/microsoft.public.win32.programmer.directx.video/3kMuSYZ-KFw/CKfl0xeZ8FUJ>, copying the most relevant part here:
 BYTE  magic_62;
 BYTE  magic_FF_5;
 BYTE  day:5;   //max = 0x31
 BYTE  msb_day:3;
 BYTE  month:5;  //max = 0x12
 BYTE  msb_month:3;
 BYTE  year;   //max = 0x99

 BYTE  magic_63;
 BYTE  magic_FF_6;
 BYTE  second:6;  //max = 0x59
 BYTE  msb_second:2;
 BYTE  minute:6;  //max = 0x59
 BYTE  msb_minute:2;
 BYTE  hour:6;   //max = 0x23
 BYTE  msb_hour:2;

For the sample the recording date time should be 2004-07-09 13:53:52.

Hope this helps.