[FFmpeg-user] License FFmpeg under GPL v3

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Mar 29 14:45:52 CEST 2016

Aaron Boxer <boxerab <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Sorry for another license question, but is it possible to license
> FFmpeg under GPL v3 ?  I know that GPL v2 is possible.
>
> And GPL v2 states that the software can be released under a
> later version of GPL i.e. GPL v3.

No, the GPL v2 does not state that you can distribute software
under the terms of of GPL version 2 or "any later version".

The LGPL states - iirc - that you can instead of the LGPL also
use the GPL.
You can look at the FFmpeg source code to find out which
versions of the LGPL you may use (at your option).