[FFmpeg-user] [FFmpeg-devel] Fwd: ffmpeg live streaming

Reuben Martin reuben.m at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 06:01:24 CET 2016

On Friday, March 18, 2016 12:52:17 AM Kamal Bijlani wrote (to the developer
list:
> Hello ffmpeg developer,

This isn’t really the type of topic for the developer mailing list, you
probably won’t get much a response to this sort of question there. The ffmpeg-
users mailing list is more appropriate for this.

> We are currently using Adobe Media Server and Red5 for streaming, Adobe
> Flex and encoding h.264. Now, we would like to improve audio/video quality,
> and have multi-bit rate with low latency.
>
> If possible, we would like to consult with you. Here are some issues:
> 1. our existing audio/video in h.264 adobe flex RTMP encoding is pixelating
> during movements.

This has nothing to do with ffmpeg.

> 2. when encoding with ffmpeg there is latency of 3 to 5 seconds . how to
> reduce latency for live interactive sessions?

This is normal. There are ways to reduce it, but at the expense of quality.
For live interaction you would be best to use a DSP based hardware encoder
decoders that can deliver <50ms encoding latency. (and solutions like are not
cheap if high quality is desired) Ffmpeg, or more accurately libx264, is just
not designed with that type of low latency as it’s primary goal.

> 3. we are having some issues when we use the AAC audio and 2 audio inputs.
> For AAC audio we get more latency. For 2 audio inputs, it seems to get
> unstable.

If audio is sourced from a device separate from the video device (i.e. They do
not share the same hardware clock) they will suffer from clock drift which
increases latency and causes other problems.