[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg with nvidia nvr across all codecs

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Wed Jun 29 17:37:18 CEST 2016

Hi Jim,

On Mon, Jun 06, 2016 at 09:00:50 -0400, Jim Shupert wrote:
> I have a "general" Q about ffmpeg with nvidia nvr
> Does building ffmpeg with nvidia nvr  help with the trascode speed of
> all codecs - not just mp4?

The Nvidia SDK docs sum the restrictions up quite nicely:
https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-video-codec-sdk

I.e. encoding support for H.264 and HEVC only. (I'm sure certain
generic operations *could* be supported for arbitrary codecs, but I
don't see that in this particular SDK.)

As for decoding support, where Nvidia supports more than those two
codecs, I *believe* ffmpeg does not have support for that
functionality.

> Is there a - across all codecs - benefit?

No.

Moritz