[FFmpeg-user] Any way to get better use of the cpu?

Roger Pack rogerdpack2 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 23:55:21 CEST 2016

On 2/23/16, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
> Roger Pack <rogerdpack2 <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'm referring more to the fact that if I output to two
>> outputs, from the same ffmpeg instance, in essence, this:
>>
>> ffmpeg -i input output1 output2
>>
>> takes twice as long as running these two in parallel:
>>
>> ffmpeg -i input output1
>> ffmpeg -i input output2
>
> The tee muxer fixes this issue.

Hmm...it seems the tee muxer is mostly for encoding once, then
outputting to several (the same encoded content) it apperas?  In this
particular instance I'm trying to encode multiple streams
simultaneously "in parallel" so that I can use more cores (assuming
each encoding uses at most 2 cores, which seems to be the case here).
https://gist.github.com/rdp/0a152670b742053a2a69e8d54e613b9a was my
attempt at it.
I suppose it just isn't possible today, and I may file a trac feature
request for it sometime.
Cheers!
-roger-