[FFmpeg-user] CUDA CUVID H264/HEVC decoder

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Sat Jul 23 14:34:59 EEST 2016

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 07:39:07 -0700, Saelis wrote:
> I leverage my GPU to decode h264/hevc input files ?

First of all, your compile of ffmpeg needs to support cuvid decoding.
$ ffmpeg -decoders | grep cuvid
which could yield: h264_cuvid hevc_cuvid vc1_cuvid vp8_cuvid vp9_cuvid

You would then force ffmpeg to use one of these decoders instead of the
default one:

$ ffmpeg -c:v hevc_cuvid -i h265_file.mkv [...]

I don't have cuvid, so this is all in theory and from looking at the
source. These decoders don't seem to have options either, which you
could verify by issuing:

$ ffmpeg -h decoder=hevc_cuvid

(BTW, this will always show you even undocumented options.)

HTH,
Moritz