[FFmpeg-user] libopus encoder produces bigger files than opusenc with 6-channel audio

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Jul 18 19:51:28 EEST 2016

Peter White <peter.white <at> posteo.net> writes:

> So both programs autoselect 320 kbit/s as the nominal
> bitrate, yet opusenc produces a considerably smaller file.

So you are reporting a bug in opusenc on our mailing list?

Sorry that I originally misunderstood your email:
It is possible that FFmpeg tries to copy the defaults
of libopus but I don't think that you can rely on this
behaviour. I would assume (although I don't know) that
future versions of libopus may change the default
bitrate and in such a case, FFmpeg may or may not
follow.

In any case: If the default bitrate is 320k for your
usecase (I didn't check, you claim so) and FFmpeg
produces an output file closer to this bitrate than
opusenc, there is no bug in FFmpeg.