[FFmpeg-user] Play continuous stream while displaying metadata

Jean-Luc Wasmer ffmpeg-user at jl.wasmer.ca
Wed Jul 6 21:04:26 CEST 2016

Hi,

How can I play a live network stream and get all metadata printed to
stdout?
I don't care so much about the audio (would be better to have though).

ffplay doesn't display the metadata as it occurs on the stream. I tried
with "-f ffmetadata" but the players seems stuck waiting for something.

I tried:
ffmpeg -i http://.... -f ffmetadata metadata.txt
but ffmpeg doesn't stay connected (quits with "Output file is empty,
nothing was encoded" message)

I tried with ffprobe but it also didn't stay connected.

Thanks,
Jean-Luc