[FFmpeg-user] Fix interrupted HLS dump

Herr Ernst herr.ernst at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 01:22:41 CEST 2016

Hi,
I've downloaded an HLS live stream with `ffmpeg -i http://example.com/playlist.m3u8 -c copy -bsf:a aac_adtstoasc dump.mp4`. This has worked for me before. I've been keeping the command running overnight and today my SSD was full. I thought, no problem, just cut the file, but the file is broken, because the moov atom is missing:
ffmpeg -i dump.mp4
[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0xbf76a0] moov atom not found
dump.mp4: Invalid data found when processing input

I know the codec parameters, and the stream is still online so I have saved a short snippet to have a similar atom. I tried some MP4Box commands I found online, but didn't get it to work.
Do you have any help?

Thanks!
Best regards,
Ernie