[FFmpeg-user] MPEG-2 video, m2v1 (?) vs mp2v

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu Jan 28 10:25:23 CET 2016

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 08:53:01 +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> But the OP is only interested in mov...

I cannot find that information in the original e-mail. He is very

In the second e-mail he writes:
> but it only works in certain containers (e.g. works with AVI, ffmpeg
> fails with MOV)
which sounds like an experiment, not a desired format.

But indeed, with MOV, the named FourCCs are used, and while my mplayer
*can* play then, VLC refuses to. And those FourCCs are not listed here:
http://wiki.multimedia.cx/?title=QuickTime_container#Video_FOURCCs
(while I would probably need to look into the official Quicktime file
format documentation, where I can right now only find pixel format
FourCCs).

Moritz