[FFmpeg-user] How to build for static ffmpeg executable

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Fri Jan 22 01:16:52 CET 2016

Reindl Harald <h.reindl <at> thelounge.net> writes:

> Am 22.01.2016 um 00:59 schrieb Carl Eugen Hoyos:
> > Reindl Harald <h.reindl <at> thelounge.net> writes:

> >> since you always suggest to remove them *why* do
> >> the exist at all in ./configure --help and not
> >> only their counterpart --disable-xx?
> >
> > [quote]
> >    --disable-bzlib          disable bzlib [autodetect]
> >    --disable-zlib           disable zlib [autodetect]
> >    --disable-iconv          disable iconv [autodetect]
> >    --disable-lzma           disable lzma [autodetect]
> > [/quote]
> >
> > ???
>
> typically configure scripts warn about unkonwn params
> ffmpeg don't

FFmpeg configure does not warn about unknown parameters,
it errors out, just try "./configure --enable-foo".

The parameters above are not unknown, they are useful
for debugging but not for users, this is why they
are not listed in configure --help (that was what
you both denied and requested, no?).

The options you use in your configure line are to
some degree useless, to some degree they hurt
performance for no gain and some (as --enable-zlib)
do not work the way you (apparently) think they work:
They simply have no effect.
Since the configure line is often needed to
debug issues it is very useful to remove all
unneeded options, especially those that may produce
issues in the future because they never had the
meaning you think they have.