[FFmpeg-user] Reports not getting x265 info

Nicholas Robbins nickrobbins at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 9 15:21:29 CET 2016

> On Saturday, January 9, 2016 9:11 AM, Jim Worrall <coniophora at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I’m doing long transcodes on my local server to avoid tying up my laptop.
> Unfortunately much of the console output gets lost in the process.  So I’m using
> the report-writing feature of ffmpeg by creating a FFREPORT environment
> variable.
>
> This is great, but with libx265, none of the x265 info gets into the report - it
> is missing.  With libx264, the libx264 output DOES get into the report - it
> works fine.

ffmpeg sends some information to stderr not stdout. It looks the same on the console, but doesn't behave the same shell-wise. If you want to capture all of the console output you do do this:

$ ffmpeg [options and arguments] 2>&1 >> logfile.txt

2>&1 combines stderr and stdout into stderr, which is then appended to logfile.txt

if you wanted to have the output also show up in the terminal, you could use 'tee':

$ ffmpeg [options and arguments] 2>&1 | tee -a logfile.txt

this will display the same, but also save a copy in logfile.txt

-N