[FFmpeg-user] flame about confusing command line options.

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Jan 5 16:12:25 CET 2016

Am 05.01.2016 um 15:43 schrieb Phil Rhodes:
> I think in general a lot of problems with commandline software in general exist when the software begins to exceed the ability of a commandline to act as a workable UI.
> Naturally there are reasons to provide serialised instructions to a piece of software, but in many cases that isn't really intended as a user interface, it's intended as an API. The discoverability of a CLI is near zero, and the lack of examples in the documentation doesn't help.
> For many tasks, software with as many complexities as ffmpeg desperately needs a GUI

thinking one can develop a GUI which is usable and supports all of the
features of ffmpeg or even a large part of them is naive - it would be a
completly weird application with a million dropdowns nobody understands
how they work together depending of mediatypes or just support a small
piece of ffmpeg

breaking news: you can write a GUI calling the ffmpeg-binary

we made a PHP wrapper as library-class years ago for ffmpeg which is
then used by our cms-system as a GUI

but you can not to the other direction when you have a GUI software