[FFmpeg-user] Taking screenshots before and after re-encoding

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sat Feb 13 20:11:37 CET 2016

Martin Cracauer <cracauer <at> cons.org> writes:

> Out of curiosity, is there ever a need for a second
> filter_complex?

I don't understand:
I don't know if there is a need but only one filter_complex
can be supplied.

> Is there anything that ffmpeg can do that you cannot
> put into a filter_complex

Subtitles!
(I suspect this is not the answer you were looking for, I
fear I don't understand the question though.)

> so that you then have to have a second one after the
> non-filter-complex statement?

I still don't understand;-(

Let me add the following to my answer to your first email:
FFmpeg allows you to specify an input (often a file).
This input will be decoded by FFmpeg (to a raw video
format in case of video), the decoded data can be fed
into a filter chain, the output of the filter chain
is then sent to an encoder that outputs a different format
(that you cannot feed into a filter chain because it is
not the required raw format) which is accepted by a
muxer.
FFmpeg does not allow to send your encoded data to a
decoder to allow a second filter chain: You need two
instances of FFmpeg to do that.
(this should have been "ffmpeg" all over the paragraph)