[FFmpeg-user] New task ideas for GSoC and Outreachy

Marton Balint cus at passwd.hu
Wed Feb 10 21:21:54 CET 2016

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016, Kieran Kunhya wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It seems that we're trotting out the same old GSoC and Outreachy tasks that
> students haven't picked for years.
>
> So, in the spirit of open source, I'd like to ask you, the developers and
> users what students should work on.

An important thing we miss I think is failover on input and output side.

Many people use ffmpeg to transcode some kind of network stream to
whatever format, but AFAIK there is no way to specify multiple inputs and
do failover between them if one of them fails / timeouts. Also there is no
way to force an input to gracefully restart/reconnect in case of
timeout or error.

The same can be said on the output side, if one of the network outputs
blocks or fails for any reason, the other outputs will block or fail too,
which makes ffmpeg unsuitable to stream to two targets simultaneously for
redundancy purposes. A graceful reconnect on timeout or error and
non-blocking outputs would be useful here too.

This may be implemented as a function of ffmpeg.c or as an input/output
protocol if possible.

Regards,
Marton