[FFmpeg-user] supported codecs for twitter - "Your media file is not compatible."

Darren Howard dmhoward at shaw.ca
Mon Feb 1 22:57:56 CET 2016

I have been trying to find the right settings to create a video from a simple timelapse to upload to twitter. Twitter's site says:

What video formats do you support?

We currently support MP4 and MOV video formats on mobile apps.

On the web, we support the MP4 video format with H264 format with AAC audio. You can upload videos up to 512MB, however you will be prompted to edit videos to 30 seconds or less in length.

What are the limitations on video resolutions and aspect ratios that can be uploaded on the web?

Minimum resolution: 32 x 32
Maximum resolution: 1920 x 1200 (and 1200 x 1900)
Aspect ratios: 1:2.39 - 2.39:1 range (inclusive)
Maximum frame rate: 40 fps
Maximum bitrate: 25 Mbps

As far as I can tell I have the correct settings to fullfill their requirements. However, everytime I upload a new version it says " Your media file is not compatible ."

Does anyone know the correct codec I should use that will work for twitter? I have tried several dozen different options and spending hours on this and I have thrown in the towel...

Here is one I tried with audio:
ffmpeg.exe -i Spontaneous.mp3 -r 20 -start_number 0001 -i DSC_%04d.jpg -t 00:00:07 -vcodec libx264 -movflags +faststart output5.mp4
ffmpeg.exe -i Spontaneous.mp3 -r 20 -start_number 0001 -i DSC_%04d.jpg -t 00:00:07 -s 1280X720 -codec:v libx264 -movflags +faststart -af "volume=0.1" -bsf:a aac_adtstoasc output8.mp4

and a basic one without audio:
ffmpeg.exe -f image2 -i DSC_%04d.jpg -s hd1080 -vcodec libx264 output.mp4

Most of the settings I've tried play back nicely on my PC. Most also work when uploading to youtube. For the purpose of what I am doing here I don't really want to upload to youtube and then link the video in twitter. Also, I don't really want audio on the video but was just trying it to see if Twitter needed it...

If anyone knows what I am doing wrong or what will work it would be much appreciated!!
(PS. Tried the options on a brand new version of ffmpeg and also on an older version)
DH