[FFmpeg-user] Error compiling FFmpeg under kdenlive

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Wed Dec 28 00:36:38 EET 2016

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 20:19:55 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
> > ERROR: libtheora not found
> and what do you not understand in that message?

Thomas did mention:
> Please consider that I am not that sophisticated of a linux user.

And he therefore did not understand that, to satisfy the dependency, he
needs the "development" package of his OS which supplies the actual
headers (and a required symlink).

It's not totally obvious, and the Wiki page concentrates on compiliing
your own dependencies, and libtheora even seems to have been dropped
(though the libogg section still refers to it).

> the next time mention the operating system - on Fedora "dnf install
> libtheora-devel" would be the solution

That is indeed the solution, also in case any further such errors pop
up for other dependencies: Do install their "-devel" packages.

Moritz