[FFmpeg-user] VP9 to HEVC hdr demo conversion?

Andy Furniss adf.lists at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 12:49:21 EET 2016

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Nov 2016 02:02:08 +0100
> Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
>
>>> Can anyone suggest a command line this poor
>>> ignorant human can use to convert these to
>>> HEVC files, preserving the HDRness?
>>
>> Either provide command line and complete, uncut console
>> output for what you have already tried or at least "ffmpeg -i"
>> output for the files you downloaded.
>
> Here's the one that seems to give players the most trouble:

> Input #0, matroska,webm, from 'The World in HDR.mkv':
>    Metadata:
>      encoder         : libebml v1.3.4 + libmatroska v1.4.5
>      creation_time   : 2016-11-08 02:38:04

A couple of other issues WRT getting this to work -

Your libx265 will need to be compiled for 10bit encoding.

Whatever you use to download from youtube may mess things up
when it merges the sound and video = possibly loose some info.

Using youtube-dl for the tests I did I was using the vid alone.

youtube-dl --list-formats <url> will show all available formats
you can then get the the audio and video separately and join them
when you do the hevc conversion. What format audio to get may depend
on what container you need to use to make the TV work, though you
could always re-code that as well.