[FFmpeg-user] Question about -re flag and how to avoid audio latency

Muammar El Khatib muammarelkhatib at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 23:58:02 EEST 2016

Hi,

I am using ffmpeg to capture audio through a pulseaudio monitor sink and pipe it
to a webserver so that I can do streaming:

ffmpeg -loglevel panic -re -ac 2 -ar 44100 -f pulse -i audio.monitor
-acodec flac -f flac -ac 2 -ar 44100 pipe:

As you can see, I am using the -re flag, and I am not very sure if this is
useful in this case. Does it really make any difference to add it or not?.

In addition, I get certain latency that increases with time and it can reach
even 8 seconds being mp3 the most affected codec. I am researching about it to
better understand. However, what would you suggest me to try in order to reduce
latency for audio streaming?.

I would be glad to know your suggestions.

Best regards,

(Please, add my address to the reply, I am not subscribed).
--
Muammar El Khatib.
http://muammar.me | http://proyectociencia.org