[FFmpeg-user] FFV1/rgb48le issue: ffmpeg automatically chooses gbrp16le to decode an rgb48le FFV1 file.

Kieran O Leary kieran.o.leary at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 19:23:58 EEST 2016

Hi Carl,

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 5:11 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!

>> When I transcode an rgb48le TIFF to FFV1, the resulting ffv1 file is listed as having a pixel format of
>> gbr16le when I decode it. I can specify a pix_fmt of rgb48le, but it would be ideal if rgb48le was selected
>
> This is very unlikely to change.

Would it be correct to state that 16-bit FFV1 RGB will always be
gbr16, even if the source is rgb48? My understanding is that the data
is the same, but one is packed, the other is planar?

>> if the ffv1 is indeed rgb48le.
>
> The ffv1 file is in fact gbr16, the encoder accepts rgb48 for your convenience.
> (le if your hardware is little-endian, be otherwise)

That is good to know. I wasn't sure as to what was actually happening.
It seems that I can reconstruct the original files in a lossless
manner after FFV1 transcoding so I am very happy with that.

Best,

Kieran.