[FFmpeg-user] multiple outputs

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Tue Apr 12 11:13:40 CEST 2016

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 08:29:10 +1000, Nisar Ahmed wrote:
> Does specifying file format means that ffmpeg will pick the appropriate
> encoding itself

ffmpeg chooses default codecs, based on the selected format and on
which codecs it has support for.

> or do we have to specify explicitly for each output,

If ffmpeg's choice does not please you, you need to specify it.

> currently I am only specifying it once.

Please note that your choice of codec will only apply to *one* output
file, the other will use defaults again. Check ffmpeg's syntax
description and how to create multiple files.

> Following is the illustration of my ffmpeg command.
>
> ffmpeg -i input -vcodec x264 -acodec libmp3lame output1.mp4 output2.mp3
>
> I am thinking of changing it to
>
> ffmpeg -i input -vcodec x264 -acodec aac output1.mp4 output.mp3

That won't change anything for output*.mp3, because you are not
specifying any output options for it.

You are a bit unspecific about what you are trying to (exactly) achieve
and what is going wrong. Adding the complete, uncut console output
would also help.

Cheers,
Moritz