[FFmpeg-user] Interlaced x264

PSPunch shima at pspunch.com
Mon Apr 11 04:22:12 CEST 2016

On 2016/04/08 5:04, Andy Furniss wrote:
> Why do you need to make interlaced from progressive?

Excuse me to jump in.
For example, when encoding for BD I need to make the choice between
1080i to retain resolution, or 720p for ease of handling.
(Although I never had to used FFmpeg for this task)

> If you have good reason (and 50/60 fps source) then you also have to
> be careful around chroma conversions and any scaling filters for which
> may get auto inserted and break chroma (cause it to bleed between fields).

Is there a technical term for this phenomenon, or any resources I can
read further on this? Hopefully one aimed at video operators rather than
codec designers...

Thanks.
--
David Shimamoto