[FFmpeg-user] Does FFMpeg support the new IMF format?

Andreas Gumm andreas.gumm at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 6 11:04:08 CEST 2016

Am 06.04.2016 01:08 schrieb "Francesco Bucciantini" <franceopf at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
> I would like to know whether FFMpeg supports the new .imf format or
> not and, if not, if you are planning to support it in the very next
> future.
>
> Thank you in advance.

I wouldn't expect it to see this soon since IMF is a very complex format.
IMF is a mastering package logically similar to a DCP package and it's also
based on JPEG2000. But in opposite to DCP packages it does not use XYZ
colors space and it supports all known resolutions including SD video and
interlaced field based footage.
FFMPEG does not support IMF and it does not support DCPs, but it supports
all of the contained streams as single files. It needs some logic to read
out IMF properly because it can have different segments or streams and
subtitles for different countries.
Both formats - IMF and DCP - are more a kind of playlist controlled
composition of already known file formats (JPEG2000 + LPCM in MXF
containers).

best Andreas