[FFmpeg-user] Combine vf and filter_complex for the same video?

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Fri Sep 18 15:36:04 CEST 2015

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 15:18:49 +0200, Gilles wrote:
> To avoid two encodings in a row, is it possible to use filter_commplex
> to also resize a video?

Sure. In fact, "-vf" ("-af") are simplifications of a complex filter
restricted to a single chain.

What's more, what we (I) suggested to you may have been sufficiently
simple to justify "-vf" instead of "-filter_complex".

Anyway, in the chain where you have the combined result, add
",scale=640:-1". Or better, when scaling down, scale before your
brightness operations, like "scale=640:-1,split[v1][v2]"

To answer your question: filterchains can be constructed by connecting
filters to each other with commas (',').
https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#Filtering-Introduction

Moritz