[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg serving to Avisynth

Francois Visagie francois.visagie at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 12:39:30 CEST 2015

On the premise that Avisynth would expect similar input via TCPSource() than it produces via frame-serving, I noted its video and audio formats when serving to ffmpeg and specified those codecs for the most likely-looking protocol, tcp.

Then came the issue of which format to specify for the tcp protocol. ffmpeg reports Avisynth's input format as 'avisynth', which the former does not support as an output format. I tried a couple of likely-looking candidates, mostly the 'raw' ones. With some, e.g. 'rawvideo':

    ffmpeg -y -i 00000.MTS -c:v rawvideo -c:a pcm_s16le -f rawvideo tcp://127.0.0.1:22050?listen

ffmpeg and Avisynth would connect and ffmpeg would in fact start serving. After a short while, however, Avisynth would crash out and ffmpeg would terminate with

    av_interleaved_write_frame(): Unknown error

This seems to indicate at least format incompatibility, and perhaps initial connection set-up also.