[FFmpeg-user] Converting a 23.98p source to 29.97i ProRes w/interlaced 3:2 pulldown?

Mel Matsuoka melmatsuoka at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 10:27:26 CET 2015

> On Oct 26, 2015, at 12:30 PM, Moritz Barsnick <barsnick at gmx.net> wrote:
>

>> Is it bad form to simply use the "ntsc" and/or "ntsc-film" aliases,
>> instead of using the fractional forms?
>
> In my opinion: Not at all. That's exactly what they're designed and
> useful for. (And save you remembering the fractions.)
>
> But this drifted off the original topic: Carl Eugen pointed out that
> the output rate of the filter should already be correct, assuming a
> correct input rate, so no need to "transform" to 30000/1001 using "-r".
> Have you been able to confirm or deny?

I can confirm that the telecine filter alone takes care of the conversion to 29.97 without needing the -r flag.

I had to add the "setfield" filter in order to flag the UFF field order in the encoded ProRes (Final Cut Pro was still interpreting it as a Progressive file, even though the interlacing was baked in to the file).

So this command-line now generates a ProRes file that perfectly matches my Apple Compressor encoded ProRes files, using the same output specs:

ffmpeg -ss 7.0 -t 30.0 -i SOURCEFILE.mov -timecode 01:00:00:00 -vf 'telecine=top:23,setfield=tff' -acodec pcm_s16le -vcodec prores_ks -vprofile standard -flags +ildct -vendor apl0 -metadata:s encoder="Apple ProRes 422 HQ" -movflags +write_colr -color_primaries bt709 -color_trc bt709 -colorspace bt709 OUTFILE.mov

The only issue left is the "Media Performance Warning: Media files are not optimized for Final Cut Pro" warning that you get when importing FFmpeg encoded ProRes files into FCP7. This was documented back in 2012, but alas I'm not smart enough to work up and submit a patch for this: https://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2012-May/006612.html

Thanks everyone for all your help!