[FFmpeg-user] RTP/MPEGTS streaming with FFMPEG

Dethof, Alexander Martin alexander.m.dethof at campus.tu-berlin.de
Wed Oct 21 10:47:55 CEST 2015

Hello everybody!

I am currently streaming with FFMPEG HEVC videos over RTP and using MPEGTS:

>> ffmpeg -re -y -i input.hevc -an -f rtp_mpegts rtp://127.0.0.1:1234

The transmitted packets are captured with tcpdump into a .pcap file. When analyzing the PCAP and its implied TS, I observed the following problems:

1. The stream type in the PMT table of the TS is 16, which means MPEG4-video. I would have expected 39 here. Also a short ffprobe request on the TS returns the MPEG4 container here. Thus I am wondering why the raw HEVC bitstream is encapsuled in an MP4 container.

2. DTS = PTS in each PES header, while they should be different for P and B frames. Command line used: ffprobe file.ts -show_frames -show_entries frame=pkt_dts_time,pkt_pts_time

Further more I tried to use the option "-bsf:v hevc_mp4toannexb", but I could not figure out a difference yet and updated the git, I am currently working on version N-75480-ge859a3c.

Am I doing something wrong?

With kind regards,
Alexander Dethof