[FFmpeg-user] scaling algorithms

Michael Koch astroelectronic at t-online.de
Sat Oct 17 13:29:07 CEST 2015

Hi all,

I have some questions about the scaling algorithms in FFmpeg.
https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-scaler.html#sws_005fflags

1. Which is the default algorithm?

2. I have many pictures with resolution 5472x3648, which are combined to
make a video with resolution 1800x1200. Any pixel in the video must be
calculated from 3x3 pixels in the input pictures.
The input pictures contain stars in the night sky which are slowly
moving. Most stars are so small that they are just one pixel.
If I use a "nearest neighbor" algorithm, then the star will blink on-off
in the video.
If I use any averaging algorithm, then the contrast will go down because
the star is averaged with the dark neighbor pixels.
Which is the best algorithm in this case? I need something like the
maximum value out of the 3x3 neighborhood.

3. Please improve the documentation. For example: ‘experimental’ Select
experimental scaling algorithm.
Wow, that sounds interesting, but what does it do?

Thanks,
Michael

       ASTRO ELECTRONIC   Dipl.-Ing. Michael Koch
            Raabestr. 43   37412 Herzberg
               www.astro-electronic.de
       Tel. +49 5521 854265   Fax +49 5521 854266