[FFmpeg-user] Guidance on converting images to video

James Darnley james.darnley at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 01:10:11 CEST 2015

On 2015-10-11 00:51, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>>> [libx264 @ 0x1bc3e80] using cpu capabilities: none!
>>
>> And you wonder why it's slow.  You're on x86-64.  You at least have SSE2
>> instructions.  Why are you not using them?  You have to explicitly
>> disable assembly when building x264 to get "none".
>
> So the quickest test was the static packages linked on the ffmpeg
> site, that produced greatly improved results. In your opinion, is
> the choice of libx264 most optimal for this type of work or do you
> recommend something else?

"Most optimal" depends on what you want to do with the video.  If I was
encoding some video to store for myself I would be very happy with what
x264 produces. If I was going to keep the images anyway, I wouldn't
bother with encoding them.

> No pixel format specified, yuvj420p for H.264 encoding chosen.
> Use -pix_fmt yuv420p for compatibility with outdated media players.

You might want to take note of this message.

> frame= 2997 fps= 61 q=23.0 Lsize=   19637kB time=00:09:59.00 bitrate= 268.6kbits/s

I'm sorry it isn't actually any faster and I am a little surprised that
320x240 video should be so slow.