[FFmpeg-user] [FFmpeg-devel] [SURVEY] Summary of first 2015 survey

compn tempn at mi.rr.com
Sun Nov 15 19:50:28 CET 2015

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 15:19:05 +0100
Clément Bœsch <u at pkh.me> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> So the October/November 2015 FFmpeg survey ended, so as promised here
> is a summary. It was planed for yesterday but due to some unfortunate
> national issues it was kind of postponed to today...

great work. thanks everyone who took the time to fill out the survey.

> Misc comments
> -------------
>  - more developed ffplay (hwaccel, doc), mpts (?) options

are we going to focus on ffplay to reinvent the media player wheel when
there is vlc and mplayer? i'm not against it, just asking. i know
ffplay is used somewhat on android, is that the biggest market for
ffplay?

>  - android support, hwaccel and relationship with
> filters/bufferpool/etc, high level support for adaptive bitrate
> streaming (bandwidth stream switch)

if someone wants to help devs with android support, may i suggest the
following:

1. locate all android and iphone and other embedded device forks
2. diff those forks to current ffmpeg git master
3. submit the diffs or links to the diffs/repo on ffmpeg-devel list.

just organizing this would help. you dont have to be a programmer to do
this.

4. test patches against git master on android / iphone / etc to make
sure it works. possibly with fate test. testing just means make sure it
builds and decodes sample files bitexact (if possible).

example projects: ffmpeg4ios and ffmpeg4android and rockbox.
especially rockbox has fixed-point decoders that were originally based
on libavcodec. but also there are changes to shrink memory and stack
usage.

even talking to the devs of these projects may encourage them to
submit or maybe even merge changes.

or if you have android / ios or other embedded devices running linux,
making those ssh accessible to devs will help us test builds and bugs.

-compn