[FFmpeg-user] Speaking of timestamps and audio/video sync issues...

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 17:35:31 CET 2015

Sometimes the mpeg2 file I fetch from my TiVo were from
broadcasts that had a momentary glitch, you can see it
pixelate and hear the sound cut out for a brief instant.

When I play the mpeg file directly, the sound and picture
always re-sync correctly following the glitch.

When I encode the file with ffmpeg though, the sound
always seems to remain out of sync following the glitch.

For instance, this script to produce a reduced size
version of a file with timestamps in the video often
shows the sync problem with a glitchy input file:

http://tomhorsley.com/game/files/generate-timestamps.txt

Is there some option I should be using to make it
pay better attention to the timestamps in the input
file when I'm encoding?