[FFmpeg-user] Capture image from camera (.mjpg video) as .jpg image

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Fri May 29 09:49:23 CEST 2015

Hi Bill,

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 01:35:35 -0400, Bill wrote:
> I looked on the ffmpeg website page and did not find a reference to
> .mjpg video streams.
>
> Can I use ffmpeg to capture an image from the .mjpg video stream?

Sure, no problem. ffmpeg supports most every network streaming type,
and several hardware devices and device drivers:
https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-devices.html

Motion JPEG (mjpeg) is among the supported codecs, but you are right in
saying that it doesn't seem to be documented well. I couldn't find it
here:
https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-codecs.html
but I found this (which I didn't know of before):
https://www.ffmpeg.org/general.html#Video-Codecs

Either way, rest assured, mjpeg is well supported.

Have fun,
Moritz