[FFmpeg-user] Concatenating two MPEG4 AAC movies fails with "invalid, clipping"

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu May 21 18:27:21 CEST 2015

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 18:27:04 +0200, Nikolas Borrel-Jensen wrote:
> Obviously the intro movie is not AAC, but the other movie is.

It doesn't matter, your issue is (basically) with the video.

> My version of ffmpeg is 1.2, I will update and follow your
> instructions! I will probably need to build it from source, since the
> AAC encoder is not part of the binaries (as far as I know, AAC is a
> proprietary format).

That's incorrect, AAC may be "proprietary" but it is well defined
within the MPEG standards. ffmpeg has a wide choice of AAC encoders it
can use:
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/AAC
Its own "aac" encoder, which needs no external libraries, may not be
the best, but it works. (Add "-strict experimental" on the command line
to activate it.

I'd have to check the binaries myself to see which AAC encoders are
included. But compiling yourself is better anyway. :-) For just
demuxing, muxing, copying, and encoding aac, you probably don't need
any external libraries at all. (Just guessing here.)

Moritz