[FFmpeg-user] Integration of ffmpeg with Haswell

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Mon May 18 12:10:47 CEST 2015

Hi Shiwani,

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 01:59:04 +0000, Shiwani Agrawal wrote:
> what I am not getting is the need for installing intel media SDK and
> then integrating ffmpeg with it . Can we install ffmpeg directly
> without having installed intel media SDK ?.

Yes, sure you can install ffmpeg without the Intel Media SDK. ffmpeg
then doesn't make use of the "Intel Quick Sync" hardware acceleration
though.

There are arguments whether that acceleration is useful though -
arguments about actual speed gain, supported codec parameters, and so
on. Some of these arguments may be outdated.

If you really have the need for testing the hardware acceleration, I
believe you must google your way through those paths of integrating.
Otherwise, just use plain ffmpeg.

Moritz