[FFmpeg-user] Increasing the decoding speed of yuv444p h.264 files

Yan Li elliot.li.tech at gmail.com
Mon May 18 02:12:01 CEST 2015

Hello,

I found that yuv444p h.264 files are much slower to decode than files
of yuv420p. For example, I have some 1900x1200 48-fps video files with
the following decoding speed:

 - x264 lossless yuv444p: decoding at 30 fps
 - x264 lossless yuv420p: decoding at 80 fps

(the files are generated by ffmpeg/libx264 from the same source using
same settings except for color space)

My CPU is relatively beefy (Intel i7 3770 @ 3.40GHz, 4-core), but the
yuv444p decoding speed is lower than the video file's fps, which means
that I can't play them.

I understand that yuv444p can be slower to decode. I have the
following three questions:

1. Is it that slow? Does decreasing from 80 to 30 fps sound right to
you? Or am I doing something wrong?

2. I want to archive the files in yuv444p. Is there any option that
can make ffplay play these files faster? I don't mind losing replay
quality for now, but I do need to keep yuv444p files.

3. Are there any chance that the software (ffmpeg or x264/x265) can
get better optimized in the near future (1 or 2 years?) Or do I need
to buy a better computer to replay them?

Thanks in advance for your help. Any comments are welcome!

--
Yan