[FFmpeg-user] Numerical histogram output for checking typical broadcast ranges (16-235)

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun May 17 14:05:13 CEST 2015

Christoph Gerstbauer <christophgerstbauer <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > do you realise that valid (specification-compliant)
> > broadcast-range video may contain values < 16 and > 235?
>
> Hello Carl, no, I don´t.
> Can you explain this to me?
> I always thought that SD broadcast levels has to
> be >16 and <235.

I cannot explain the relevant specifications (and I
don't even know where to find them) to you but to the
best of my knowledge:
Just as "MPEG constant bitrate" does not mean constant
frame size, so a stream containing video frames of
different sizes is not necessarily "variable bitrate",
you cannot judge a video stream as being non-"broadcast
level" just because it contains values < 16 or > 235.