[FFmpeg-user] DPX bit depth.

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Mon May 11 13:32:13 CEST 2015

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 10:59:45 +0100, tim nicholson wrote:
> >> identify -verbose dpx-HD-0001.dpx
> > Image: dpx-HD-0001.dpx
> >   Format: DPX (SMPTE 268M-2003 (DPX 2.0))
> >   Geometry: 1920x1080
> >   Class: DirectClass
> >   Type: true color
> >   Depth: 8 bits-per-pixel component
> >   Channel Depths:
> >     Red:      8 bits
> >     Green:    8 bits
> >     Blue:     8 bits

My age-old identify from ImageMagick says:
[...]
  Type: TrueColor
  Endianess: MSB
  Colorspace: RGB
  Depth: 16-bit
  Channel depth:
    red: 16-bit
    green: 16-bit
    blue: 16-bit
[...]

I used this to create the file similar to what you did:
$ ffmpeg -loglevel debug -f lavfi -i testsrc,format=pix_fmts=yuv422p10le -frames:v 1 -c:v dpx ~/tmp/test.dpx -y

> 25 tbn, 25 tbc" but as graphicsmagik is pretty good I am wondering if it
> is a case of 8 bit in 10bit becoming 8 bit in 16bit. However i would
> expect the padding to be in the lsb not msb or the pictures would be
> very dark.

"identify" shouldn't worry about whether only 8 MSBs or 8 LSBs of
available 16 bits are used, it should be your own problem if the image
is extremely dark. Unless the format has flags to indicate such usage.

Moritz