[FFmpeg-user] Smooth frame rate reduction?

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.de
Tue Mar 31 17:51:17 CEST 2015

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 5:22 PM, Petr Tresnak <peter.cherry at quick.cz> wrote:

> Hi,
> I need to reduce frame-rate from my video shoot by mobile ( variable
> frame-rate about 29 fps) to 25 fps.
> As you know using -r 25 just drops every 6th frame resulting in choppy
> (jerky) footage.
>
> Is there any better option how to do it more smoothly (blending etc.)?
> Maintaining the same length of course:)
>
> Thanks
> Peter
>
> From: peter.cherry at quick.cz
> To: ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org
> Subject: 90k tbn vs 30k tbn
> Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 16:46:15 +0000

Mark Himsley has written a filter for that which unfortunately is currently
only available as an ffmbc patch (http://mdsh.com/wiki/jsp/Wiki?FFmbc+0.7
 , look for "framerate converter") but it does exactly what you want, i.e.
frame blending and has decent results.

I think Mark mentioned once the intent to port it to ffmpeg but I am not
sure. If you're in a hurry, you can apply it to ffmbc and use that (I hope
I am allowed to say that here but I would of course favour this filter to
be ported to ffmpeg).

HTH

Robert