[FFmpeg-user] commercial application compatible with FFmpeg

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sat Mar 28 09:00:32 CET 2015

Juan Urrego <libreacceso <at> ymail.com> writes:

> Hi, I'm currently developing a commercial software product,
> and I would like to know if there are any legal problems
> with licenses

I don't know what "problems" mean in this context but if
you plan to distribute FFmpeg (that means software based on
FFmpeg source code), you have to conform to the GPL or the
LGPL (depending on how you compiled FFmpeg).
If you want to use FFmpeg, you have to agree with the
No-Warranty clause of the GPL (or the LGPL).

> or patents

We do not know anything about patents (we have not used
patents to implement FFmpeg), so we cannot answer this
question but please see:
http://ffmpeg.org/legal.html

> if I make my software compatible with FFmpeg.

> I do not plan to distribute the ffmpeg.exe file

In case you neither use nor distribute software based
on FFmpeg source code, then what you do does not concern
the FFmpeg developers.