[FFmpeg-user] hls_size

Bogdan ioan Gabor bogdanioan.gabor at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 23 10:04:55 CET 2015

Hi,
I'm using 3 seconds length segments and a list of 3 segments, but this is due to the fact that I'm also using HLS for Android, and if I'm using less than three seconds, my video will get stuck on the Android devices.For a very low latency I guess you should use 1 second segments and 1 - 3 segments list lengths,I've made some tests with 1 second segment and 1 segment list, but I had issues on iOS (it get's stuck).
You should consider making tests for different sizes of segment and list length, and also try to work on the quality of the video stream in order to make the segments lighter so they can be downloaded quicker and the stream will work smoother (I've added crf parameter and changed the screen resolution to a smaller one, -s 640x480). Also I fine tuned the camera output, and played with the quality I can get from it. From what I've seen changing the bit rate has a great impact on the video size.
Have a great day.