[FFmpeg-user] Make thumbnail each segment of video

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Tue Mar 17 13:57:40 CET 2015

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 01:46:31 -0700, aradeonas wrote:
> I hope its clear.
Not quite.

> I Have two command one for segmenting video :
_Two_ commands or _one_? This sentence makes no sense. ;-)

> > ffmpeg -i vid.mp4 -acodec copy -f segment -vcodec copy -reset_timestamps 1
> > t .\OUTPUT%d.mp4

There's something missing here. If I read this, I see a part
"-reset_timestamps 1 t"
where the 't' makes no sense.

> Please consider I don't want thumbnail from for example each 5 second,first
> command result make segmnet with various durations and I just want their
> thumbnail not result videos.

I think I understand now: You want to create intermediate thumbnails
from certain points in time in your vide, without the need to segment
it.

It depends on how you can determine these points in time. You could
repeatedly call ffmpeg with "-ss <time> [...] -frames:v 1", or you
could use the select filter with an expression that expresses all your
desired frames.

Moritz