[FFmpeg-user] FFMPEG compatible hardware?

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Fri Mar 13 10:29:54 CET 2015

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 17:01:45 +0800, Kai Hendry wrote:
> Ah, didn't know about these. But since they don't have a USB3
> interface, I can't really use any of them with my laptop. Doh.

Being an engineer, I can only say: Your specification wasn't clear
enough. ;-)

Cardbus (or whatever the next generation of that is called) might be a
PCIe-like alternative, but I struggle to find any cargs for that (let
alone Linux drivers).

> Tbh, I want more USB UVC hardware options. So found I found two. Is
> UVC a good interface? Does USB3 device? Looking for testimonials too.

This is getting a bit off topic here. Linux UVC is covered here:
http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/

but their mailing list has settled down a bit recently. There's a list
of "reported" supported/unsupported devices on that page, amonst which
I find one which seems to be an HDMI capture device:
Magewell XI100DUSB-HDMI
coming in at a stunning US$ 300.

> Yes, standards matter to me. Who likes installing drivers?! :)

Many (many!) devices cheat on Windows, despite that Windows pushed UVC
as a standard. They work only semi-conforming, and the manufacturers
install their own software or even drivers. That makes these devices
tricky on Linux, despite UVC being a clear standard.

Is UVC a good interface? I can't judge. USB isn't the best designed
interface in the world, and UVC probably doesn't hold well for all
desired aspects. (I'd prefer a PCIe solution.) I find both a bit
flakey, but perhaps that's also due to all the flakey hardware/firmware
out there. Even though the interface is mostly "only" used for webcams.
But it works find for many, and you probably have no other choice on
USB.

Moritz