[FFmpeg-user] FFMPEG compatible hardware?

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Fri Mar 13 09:53:17 CET 2015

Hallo Kai,

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 15:07:00 +0800, Kai Hendry wrote:

> I've been trying to work out what capture hardware can get HDMI video
> into a usable format for manipulating with FFMPEG on my Linux system.
[...]
> I seem limited to the UVC standard, and one particular expensive
> product.

The DeckLink devices and their specific ffmpeg input device keep
getting mentioned here. I had no specific idea what they are until now,
but it seems they are capture(+output) cards, some of which also have
HDMI inputs. Here's one I randomly picked from their website (well, it
looked like the "smallest" one with HDMI input):

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/decklink/techspecs/W-DLK-06

Listed at US$ 145 (or to be found for €145 in Europe). You'll have to
google for experiences (and issues ;-)). But at least this should be an
alternative to USB (UVC) connections.

It's _not_ a "standard driver-less solution" (quote from your page),
but does that matter?

Good luck,
keep sharing the info,
Moritz